● Believes that educational excellence results when there exist in combination outstanding teachers, moderate class sizes, and a pleasant, well-managed classroom environment.
● Believes students benefit from a sequential researched-based curriculum rich in both the arts and sciences.
● Believes in a learner-centered approach and various methodologies of teaching and learning.
● Believes in a strong parent-school-student relationship fostered by supportive and open communication in a collaborative environment.
● Believes that a diverse and inclusive community provides a strong and rich learning environment and values the contributions of the cultural, ethnic, and religious traditions which form our national heritage.
● Believes that our moral compass is rooted in the Judeo-Christian traditions on which our school was founded and now recognizes and is inclusive of all spiritual belief systems.
● Believes the development of good character emerges from a program that models and reinforces the core values of Respect, Responsibility, and Integrity.
● Believes that all members of the school community respect our spirit of patriotism and be responsible and engaged citizens both locally, nationally and globally.
CORE VALUES: Respect, Responsibility, and Integrity
We value the contributions of the cultural traditions that form our national heritage and believe that a diverse and inclusive community provides a strong and rich learning environment. The school teaches a respect for the views and rights of others, whether individuals or groups, regardless of age, disability, ethnicity, family structure, gender, gender identity, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or socioeconomic status. We believe that respect for differences creates learning opportunities and increases engagement for all.
Encourage and develop cultural empathy and involvement across all areas of school life.
Engage in thoughtful and proactive efforts to encourage and welcome diverse perspectives.
Promote character development and personal integrity to develop sensitive moral citizens.
Create a welcoming environment by integrating our values of integrity, respect, and social responsibility.
As an inclusive school community, The Independence School works to provide support plans, accommodations, or adjustments for our students on an individual basis as needed. Such support may be inclusive of learning differences, gender identity, religious beliefs, and/or physical challenges. Parents and/or students are encouraged to contact an appropriate member of the school staff to discuss needs of this type or others. These conversations could be in collaboration with any member of the school administration, as well as with our consulting psychologist and/or school nurse.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
The Independence School has designed this handbook as an aid to students and parents in understanding the school’s procedures, policies, and practices. By reading it carefully, students and parents should find many answers to their questions. After reading this handbook, please sign theAcknowledgementand return it to your child’s homeroom teacher.