Mia Antonia Papas ’86, Stephanie DeAngelo ’06, Katie Jacoby ’04, not pictured, and Kathryn (Sepelyak) Kirsch ’01 were selected as the latest recipients, announced April 18 during Founders’ Day.
Welcome, Independence Alumni !
At Independence, we take great pride in the accomplishments of our alumni and the strong connection between our school and former students. Bonds don't end with graduation - you are a Patriot for life!
If you are an Indy alum, please be sure to update your contact information and let us know about your achievements, activities and interests. We also love to see Indy alumni getting together, whether local or internationally. Be sure to submit a class note so we can share your Indy connections. Please join our Alumni Facebook Group to keep up with news about your former classmates, fellow Indy alumni, and exciting things happening today at Independence. Wondering how else you can stay connected? Consider attending any of our special events throughout the year, including athletics contests, the annual Auction & Gala (21 and older) and Cornhole tournaments. Be sure to check our calendar for all opportunities to come back and say hello! Another great way to show your support is by making a tax-deductible gift to our Annual Fund, which ensures that we can continue to remain one of the premier pre-school through eighth-grade schools in the region.
We look forward to connecting with you. Come visit campus and take a ride in our campus golf cart. We hope to see you soon... Go Indy!
QUESTIONS, COMMENTS, OR SUGGESTIONS?
Mrs. Julie Goldston
Advancement Manager | 302-239-0330
The Alumni Award program began in 2018 and honors graduates who demonstrate outstanding achievement, leadership or innovation in a particular field, whether in his or her profession or through volunteer activities or personal dedication to a cause. Award categories and descriptions can be found below, along with a link to the form that must be completed to nominate an alumnus or alumna for either award.
Outstanding Alumni Award
The Outstanding Alumni Award recognizes an Independence alumnus or alumna who has graduated 20 or more years ago.
Rising Star Alumni Award
The Rising Star Alumni Award recognizes an Independence alumnus or alumna who has graduated within the last 20 years.
Please click here to complete the required form to nominate an alumnus or alumna for either the Outstanding Alumni or Rising Star Alumni Award. Nominations are considered for a period of three years.
- 2022: Dr. Erin Zolnick Unger ‘98
- 2021: Dr. Jodi Kamps Varela '87
- 2019: Dr. Mia Antonia Papas ’86
- 2018: Mr. Alexander Mackler ’97
Rising Star Alumni
- 2022: Kennedy Crowder ‘14, Sam Parsons ‘08 and Chris Reynolds ‘10
- 2021: Ms. Nidhi Kedda '11 and Ms. Michaella Moore '12
- 2019: Capt. Stephanie DeAngelo ’06, Ms. Katie Jacoby ’04 and Dr. Kathryn Sepelyak Kirsch ’01
- 2018: Mrs. Kiersten Jones Schwendeman ’03
The Independence School presented its annual Alumni Awards during the school’s Founders’ Day ceremony on Friday, April 14. The Alumni Awards program, established in 2018, honors graduates who demonstrate outstanding achievement, leadership or innovation in a particular field, whether in his or her profession or through volunteer activities or personal dedication to a cause.
The Rising Star Alumni Award is presented to an Independence alumnus or alumna who has graduated within the last 20 years and the Outstanding Alumni Award is presented to an alumnus or alumna who has graduated more than 20 years ago.
For 2022, here are the alumni selected, each of whom represented outstanding achievement and leadership in different areas related to the mission of The Independence School and exemplify what Independence graduates can become. Below are snippets from their lengthy and impressive school, work, and community service profiles.
- Kennedy Crowder ‘14, a student at UPenn majoring in English with a minor in East Asian Languages, was named a Marshall Scholar and heading to the University of Bristol in the UK. Among her many areas of community service, she is working towards improving literacy, particularly in communities of color.
- Sam Parsons ‘08, a North Carolina State University graduate, is now a professional long-distance runner under contract with Adidas and the co-founder of the Tinman Elite professional running team based in Boulder, Co. Just days ago, Sam broke the record in Delaware, running a mile in under 4 minutes.
- Chris Reynolds ‘10 earned degrees in chemistry and theology from Boston College and earned the school’s Finnegan Award. Focused on global health equality, Chris was awarded a 2018 Fulbright research grant and has traveled extensively throughout Latin America. He is now at the University of Michigan Medical School on a Dean’s Scholarship.
- Dr. Erin Zolnick Unger ‘98, is a physician triple-board certified in Internal Medicine, Cardiovascular Diseases, and Interventional Cardiology. A geography major in college, Erin entered the medical field by using her geography skills to track ambulance and emergency services in Boston, ultimately attending Johns Hopkins University to gain the science requirements.
Many of our alumni continue to maintain strong ties to Indy. Our alums are found among our teachers, parents of current students, donors, and members of our Board of Trustees.
The 2022 Founders' Award was presented to Kevin Heitzenroder ‘85. Formerly the president of our board of trustees and a successful entrepreneur, Kevin led us through many important initiatives and has been extremely generous in his support of the school. Most recently, Kevin spearheaded the construction of the Funk Outdoor Classroom.