Investing in the best possible start for your child’s education is invaluable. The critical early years are when students become inspired to learn and motivated to succeed, and important study, social and emotional skills are established. The investment in an Independence education pays off. With a reputation for being well-prepared, Independence graduates are accepted into their top choices for high school, and many receive generous scholarships.
What makes an Independence education a valuable investment? Jenn K., the proud mother of three recent Indy alumnae, shares how the Indy experience helped her daughters to each build a foundation, find what they love and excel.
FINANCIAL AID & scholarships
Making Independence affordable to those who wish to attend remains an important goal. We are fortunate to be able to provide tuition assistance for students with demonstrated need through our Financial Aid Program.
Financial Aid is available for students in Early Childhood I through eighth grade, and all awards are distributed in a fair and equitable manner. As a reminder, you must reapply each year.
Financial Aid is not a loan but rather a reduction in tuition. It gets granted one year at a time, and recipients reapply each year. Independence uses the online service of Financial Aid for School Tuition (FAST), an affiliate of Independent School Management (ISM), to process financial aid applications. FAST does not decide whether tuition assistance will be given or how much to give; rather, FAST provides a need-based financial aid analysis service that includes a recommendation of what a family should reasonably contribute toward tuition. All information from FAST is kept confidential. The Financial Aid Committee reviews each application and notifies families of the award decision.
Please expand the blue accordions below to review the steps to applying for Financial Aid.
- Click the logo below to access the FAST Application.
- The application process is self-guided. You may navigate in and out of the program, allowing you to partially complete an application and go back to it at another time. Online email support (firstname.lastname@example.org) and a 24/7 helpline (1-877-326-FAST) are provided.
- The charge for the application is $45, to be paid by credit card at the end of the session. If you do not have a credit card, please call the school Business Office (302-239-0330) for assistance.
- After completing the online application, you will be required to mail your 2019 tax returns for both state and federal taxes with all schedules and W-2's to:
1316 North Union St.
Wilmington, DE 19806-2594
- Including the school's name on the outside of the envelope will ensure faster processing of your application.
- While Financial Aid applications are welcome any time, you are encouraged to submit yours as early as possible. We continue to consider applications throughout the year and hope to provide need-based Tuition Assistance to as many qualifying candidates as funds allow.
- Your 2019 tax return must follow the submission and be postmarked by Tuesday, March 31, 2020.
For a checklist of needed documents, click here.
First Responders Community Partnership
Applicants with at least one parent who serves as a full-time first responder in our community are eligible.
Legacy Scholarship for Children of Independence Graduates
Children of Independence alumni are eligible.
Please feel free to contact the Admission Office at 302-239-0332 if you need more information.
EXTENDED DAY OPTIONS
The Extended Day Program is available to any student enrolled at Independence. Students may participate in this program whenever their classes are not in session. Supervised care for students begins at 7 a.m. and concludes at 6 p.m. The program begins in August before the start of the academic school year and ends in June. When school is closed for holidays or teacher in-service days, Extended Day is open to the children who have pre-registered for those days. Extended Day will only close for the observance of national holidays or in the event of severe weather.
For more details, please expand the blue accordion below.
- 7-7:45 a.m. and 3-6 p.m.: $4,864.00
(Cost includes all scheduled Vacation/Holiday dates)
Red Plan includes a 20% discount over the Flexible Plan.
- 7:00-7:45 a.m.: $784.00
- 3:00-4:00 p.m.: $1,045.00
- 3:00-5:00 p.m.: $2,090.00
- 3:00-6:00 p.m.: $3,136.00
(Excludes Vacation/Holiday cost)
All plans include a 5% discount over the Flexible Plan.
This flexible plan is available for full-day students on an "as needed" basis. Bills are computed monthly based on hours attended at the rate of $6.75 per hour. The morning Extended charge is .75 hours. Children not picked up in carline will be signed into Extended Day. Children not signed out in the afternoon are charged the full 3-hour charge.
If you do not choose a plan, children will automatically be enrolled in the Flexible Plan if they attend.
EXTENDED DAY BILLING
Red Plan and Patriot Plans: Bills are sent in 8 equal monthly installments from October 1 to May 1.
Flexible Plan: Bills are computed monthly and sent from October to July.
Please note that there is a yearly $25.00 fee with the first bill for all plans to establish and manage your account.
In addition to the standard Extended Day activities, Independence students may also enroll in a variety of special programs, including Child Drama Workshops, MyServe Golf and Tennis, Soccer Shots and more. These offerings are generally provided at an additional cost.
For more information on Extended Day, please contact Mr. Kevin McDonald, program director, at email@example.com or 302-239-9060.