Mission & Values
The Independence School inspires students to become independent, intellectually curious individuals who possess an exceptional spirit for learning, leadership and citizenship.
our CORE VALUES
The Independence School
● Believes that educational excellence results when there exists in combination outstanding teachers, moderate class sizes, and a pleasant, well-managed classroom environment.
● Believes students benefit from a sequential, spiraling, research-based, and comprehensive curriculum.
● Believes in a learner-centered approach and various methodologies of teaching and learning.
● Believes in a strong parent-school-student relationship fostered by supportive and open communication in a collaborative environment.
● Believes that a diverse and inclusive community provides a strong and rich learning environment and values the contributions of the cultural, ethnic, and religious traditions which form our national heritage.
● Believes that our moral compass is rooted in the Judeo-Christian traditions on which our school was founded and recognizes and includes all spiritual belief systems.
● Believes the development of good character emerges from a program that models and reinforces the core values of Respect, Responsibility, and Integrity.
● Believes that all members of the school community should respect our spirit of patriotism and be responsible and engaged citizens locally, nationally, and globally.
As stated in the school’s 1978 founding philosophy, “A student graduated from The Independence School should not only be highly educated in the basic literacy and computational skills but should also be a sensitive, moral citizen, intellectually curious and critical, a potential leader in society.”
An Independence graduate reflects the mission of the school and will demonstrate independence, intellectual curiosity, and a true spirit for life-long learning and leadership. Graduates will be positive members of their local and global community.
An Independence Graduate will possess a strong and well-rounded academic foundation having demonstrated subject knowledge and skills in the following:
Language and communication arts, including oral and written presentation
Multiple disciplines of science
Technology and media literacy
Basic engineering principles
Social Studies, including geography, history, and civics
Basic economics, financial literacy, and entrepreneurship
A world language other than English
Health and physical education
Fine and performing arts
An Independence Graduate will demonstrate essential learning and thinking skills, and will be —
An effective communicator A critical thinker
A researcher A collaborator A risk taker
And will possess these attributes —
An Independence graduate will be prepared to be a contributing citizen with potential for leadership, and will be —
An Independence graduate will embody the values of integrity, respect, and responsibility for self and others, and will be —
We value the contributions of the cultural traditions which form our national heritage and believe that a diverse and inclusive community provides a strong and rich learning environment. The school teaches a respect for the views and rights of others, whether individuals or groups, regardless of age, disability, ethnicity, family structure, gender, gender identity, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or socioeconomic status. We believe that respect for differences creates learning opportunities and increases engagement for all.
- Encourage and develop cultural empathy and involvement across all areas of school life
- Engage in thoughtful and proactive efforts to encourage and welcome diverse perspectives
- Promote character development and personal integrity to develop sensitive moral citizens
- Create a welcoming environment by integrating our values of integrity, respect, and social responsibility