The Independence School has completed the Beau Biden Foundation's Shield of Protection® (SOP) assessment.
SUPPORTING THE WHOLE CHILD
Established in 2016, the Center for Wellness, Innovation and Learning (CWIL™, pronounced "Quill") grew out of the work of Independence’s Wellness and Learning Support Team to respond to the needs of supporting the whole child. CWIL’s team approach addresses not only academic progress, but also motor, language, cognitive, emotional and physical development, as well as health. This allows Independence to provide a program that holds the full interests of the students at heart, both in and out of the classroom.
Parent education, research and best practices form the foundation of the center’s work. CWIL’s mission is to ensure that Independence students truly develop into independent, intellectually curious individuals.
AREAS OF FOCUS
Check back for more 2019-20 Parent Education Events to be announced!
Topics covered during previous Parent Coffee events were as follows:
- "Screenagers @ Independence"
- "Outdoor Learning - Nature-Based Experiences for Early Childhood through 8th Grade"
- "Language & Learning - The Impact of Experiences on the Brain's Development"
- "Technology and Media Literacy: Steps Toward the Future"
- "Digital Citizenship and Online Safety”
- "The Power of Grit and the Process of Powerful Learning"
- "Physical Activity for Children: How to Strike a Healthy Balance"
- “A Mind for Numbers: How to Excel at Math and Science (Even if you Flunked Algebra)” by Barbara Oakley, Ph.D.
- “The Doodle Revolution” by Sunni Brown
- “Make it Stick: The Science of Successful Learning” by Peter C. Brown
- “Mindset: The New Psychology of Success” by Carol Dweck
- “Thinking, Fast and Slow” by Daniel Kahneman
- "Becoming Brilliant: What Science Tells Us About Raising Successful Children" by Roberta Michnick Golinkoff, Ph.D.